1. I met Tessa Bailey! It was wonderful and perfect. She was super nice and a little bit raunchy. She hugged me when she saw me! I also got to chat with Jennifer L. Armentrout, who is such an awesome and funny person. Shayla Black and Laura Kaye were great to meet as well!
2. I applied for Jobs. My summer internship is ending soon and I'm freaking out a bit! I have nothing lined up beyond July. For a planner like me, this is terrifying! I'm trying to relax and keep putting out resumes. Cross your fingers I'll hear something soon.
3. I planned obsessively. To make up for my uncertainty about what my employment status will be at the end of summer, I went crazy making plans. Of course I had too much anxiety to actually follow through on all the writing, work-out, and self-improvemnt plans I created. But I feel the effort cancels out my inaction. Right? Might want to do another round of finger-crossing for my motivation.
4. I hibernated? Once the stress of uncertainty, internship work, family issues, and other things got to be too much I pulled a full stop. I slept a lot. I ate a lot. I only did the things I absolutely had to, like work, or the things I absolutely wanted to do, like coloring. As necessary as that break was for me, I kind of regret how boring it has made my 5 things about my life.
5. I worked. I created media contact lists. I edited, wrote, and sent out press releases and media alerts. I created social media posts. And I didn't have to make anyone coffee.
It's actually a top seven books of the month. I read so many fantastic stories it was impossible to pick only three!
Forever with You by Jennifer L. Armentrout */ Dirty Thoughts by Megan Erickson
*Oops! I read 2 of the books in my June recap in July!
*Oops! I read 2 of the books in my June recap in July!
"And it was so shocking to me because that's not who Libby was.
Libby was vibrant and full of life -- she was everything I wasn't.
Everything I wanted to be.
Except in this one thing.
Libby wasn't a fighter.
But Frances was.
And I still am."
Daughter of Deep Silence by Carrie Ryan
“Some things exist in our lives for but a brief moment.
And we must let them go on to light another sky.”
The Wrath & the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
“You intolerable lunatic," he snarled at me,
and then he caught my face between his hands and kissed me.”
Uprooted by Naomi Novik
"Erin stooped down and picked up a short fallen tree branch and lit it on fire with her lighter produced from her pocket, holding it up like an Olympic torch and jogging in a circle. Without flinching, Polly reached over and doused the flame with coffee."
Up in Smoke by Tessa Bailey
Kingsman - I LOVED this movie. So much hilariously irreverent violence, awesome spy tricks, and Colin Firth. All of these things are Dulcy-bait. I have such a huge crush on Taron Egerton now. SO DAMN CUTE. That wink kills me.
Sense8 - I can see why people call it slow. There's a lot of different plots because of the eight main character's arcs. The first episode sets up a storyline that's almost entirely ignored by the third episode. I get it. The narrative is more over the river and through the woods than normal TV shows. All of that being said. I still love it! All of the characters are interesting in their flaws and skills. I adore watching them bond and explore the Sense8 connection. All of the eight are dear to me and I just want them to be this sweet and supportive family with Papa Will and Momma Bear Nomi at the helm.
Welcome to Night Vale - Yes. I am like a year late to this party. I'm not a huge fan of podcasts. I used to listen to Serial, but it got too complicated to keep all the facts together. I ended up quitting it. But, I had to do a few mindless tasks at work so I tuned into the only other podcast I remember want to hear. Ta da! And my Night Vale obsession began. Good thing there's so many episodes for me to catch up on.
This American Life - I've only listened to one episode, it was the one about the secret lives of building superintendents. I loved how each story was set up and how well the editing was done. I'm a bit sad I have to pay to listen to the back episodes and that there's a week between the new ones, but overall super please with this new obsession.
Enchanted Forest Coloring Book by Johanna Basford- I'd seen Johanna Basford's Secret Garden coloring book, which was insanely awesome. But I could never find the coloring book in stock at Michaels. I was browsing Amazon for some cool coloring books and found the Enchanted Forest one. I loved it even more than the Secret Garden edition and bought it on the spot. I cannot wait to begin coloring in it. I just need to find the right pens or markers first.
1. My friend's birthday. Ashley, one of my nearest and dearest friends, turns 23 in July and I am super excited to celebrate her. She's such a fantastic friend with a good heart and unstoppable enthusiasm. I'm looking forward to giving her presents and demonstrating how much she means to me.
2. Call on Me by Roni Loren coming out. Pike! I was curious about him after reading Nothing Between Us. I became flat out obsessed when I met him in Not Until You. My fate was sealed after reading a sneak of his book after Yours All Along. I'm super excited to finally read Pike and Oakley's story!
3. Finishing my internship. Oy. My internship has been a great opportunity. But, I'm definitely ready to move on to paid employment. I have a week of fun and relaxation set up after my internship. I'll be happy to put away the business clothes and break out the swimsuits by then.
This month I had to deal with a lot of my anxiety over not knowing where I stood with my job, my family, other major decisions. So, I want to ask all of you what's something that makes you anxious and how do you deal with that feeling?